Start & Grow
How to Start a Business in Galveston County
File an Assumed Name (D.B.A.) with the County Clerk in the county(s) in which the business is to be located and/or will conduct business
Corporations and corporate documents are filed with the Secretary of State in Austin. You can contact the Secretary of State at (512) 463-5578 or visit their website. Upon filing in Austin, the D.B.A. is then filed with the County Clerk's Office.
For the Regulatory Assistance Program concerning licenses or permits, contact the Economic Development and Tourism-Small Business Division in Austin: (512) 936-0101.
To obtain a State Sales Tax ID#, contact the State Comptroller at (713) 426-8200, (713) 777-1881 or (281) 820-6055, or visit their website.
To obtain a Business Tax Kit and other publications, call I.R.S. at (800) 829-3676
A Federal Tax ID# is available through the I.R.S. Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933
Workers Compensation Information contact Texas Worker's Compensation & Texas Department of Insurance at (800) 372-7713. For Unemployment benefits, contact the Texas Workforce Commission at (512) 463-2222 or visit their website.
For Patents and Copyrights contact:
Commissioner for Patents
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
U.S. Copyright Office
101 Independence Avenue S. E.
Washington D.C. 20559-6000
If the business is located in home, review the deed restrictions and contact the homeowners association.
If the business is located in a city or its jurisdiction, contact the city for possible permit requirements
Contact the County Health Department for a business involved in food preparation at:
(409) 938-2300 or (409) 938-2411
The Galveston County Small Business Development Center can also provide you with high quality one-on-one management consulting, training and information for starting your business. Contact them at (409) 938-1414 or visit their website or email GCSBDC.
Filing Fees for Assumed Names
|Assumed Name Certificate with one owner or withdrawal of an Assumed Name with one owner in the office||$14.50|
|Assumed Name Certificate with one owner or withdrawal on an Assumed Name with one owner out of office (must be notarized)||$13.50|
|Each additional owner listed||$.50|
|Certificate of Assumed Name||$2.00 |
Business Retention and Expansion
- The City of League City knows that the backbone of the economy is existing businesses. The City appreciates all the businesses in League City and understands it can be difficult to keep a business running particularly in today’s economy. For more information contact Galveston County Small Business Development Center.
Small Business Classes
- How To Start A Business - Access information on how to start your own business.
- List of Startup Resources from SCORE.
- Small Business Grants for minorities.
- Business Plan Assistance - A business plan is an essential roadmap for business success. Find a road map here.
- Other Resources - Partners and resources in the Galveston County area that you may lean on in your new venture.